Back for my first post in nearly 2 years I figured I would share this delicious and quick burrito recipe. I love this recipe because it’s quick, tasty and relatively cheap. It makes a ton of chili that can be used later on baked potatoes, to make enchiladas, serve it with corn chips or cornbread .. it’s endless, this recipe can go a long way. The cheese sauce is nice and cheesy tasting and with a high powered blender you can have it done in minutes. Let’s get started ..
Let’s make the chili first and get it simmering
Chili Ingredients :
- 1 15 oz. can vegan, lard free, refried beans
- 1 – 2 TBSP olive, canola or veg oil
- 2 cups veggie beef granules (gardein, beyond meat) or chopped soy curls, rehydrated before using
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup tomato paste, depending how thick you want it
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, based on the level of heat you want
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup minced onion, red or yellow
- 1 chopped jalapeno, optional
- tortillas for serving
To start the chili :
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and saute the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
In a bowl dissolve the cornstarch or arrowroot with the water, mix until combined.
Add the tomato paste along with the water slurry to the skillet with the onions and stir until smooth and combined.
Add all spices, vinegar and jalapeno (if using) and stir to combine.
Heat the mixture until it starts to boil then add the veggie crumbles and refried beans and mix well.
Let simmer with or without a lid for 30 min, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until thickened.
WHILE THE CHILI IS SIMMERING : make the cheese sauce
In a high speed blender :
- 8 fl oz hot water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1⁄3 cup cashews, raw & unsalted
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, raw & unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
Blend until smooth and transfer to a sauce pan to thicken on medium high heat, stirring to avoid burning on bottom. It shouldn’t take long, once it gets thick enough for your liking take off heat and place a lid on while your chili cooks.
Turn off the heat on the chili and spoon it into tortillas to assemble burritos. You can add shredded vegan cheese to the inside if you wish, or more onions or tomatoes. Pour some cheese sauce over the burritos and enjoy with hot sauce or taco sauce to spice things up.
- a note for those without a high speed blender, soaking your nuts before making the cheese is absolutely the key to getting a smooth sauce with a regular blender!