Every once in a while I’ll make muffins for the weekly snack. Sometimes I have a few leftover that we just didn’t get around to. Then these came along. I had a few overly ripe, (almost too ripe) bananas that needed taking care of. Also a few fresh strawberries, and about a cup of frozen mixed berries that were in the way. There had to be some way to make a muffin out of all of it, right? Absolutely right. We had zero leftover muffins last week.
- 1/2 cup melted margarine (or applesauce should work fine)
- 1/2 cup of yogurt (regular, vanilla, or strawberry if you want a super fruity taste)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large, ripe mashed bananas (approx. 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh mixed berries (or more strawberries)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour, or white whole wheat
- 1 tsp. ground flax (optional, but healthy)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
* Note : I have not used the applesauce substitute for the margarine in this recipe yet, but it should work fine like other baked goods. If you use it, let me know how it does, it could be a while before I have the time to test it.
To Make :
Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare your muffin tray.
Melt the margarine, if using, and set it aside. If you’re using applesauce as a replacement, heat it for 15- 30 seconds and set aside.
Mix together the mashed bananas, yogurt and vanilla.
Mix together the dry ingredients in a different bowl. Add in the berries and nuts and mix well.
Add in the cooled margarine, or applesauce to the wet mixture.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Do not overmix, because overworked bananas could make the mixture gummy.
Fill muffin tins with a scoop of batter, about 3/4 the way full to account for rising. I got 12 muffins exactly.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes and remove them from the muffin pan. Store in an airtight container and enjoy all week ~