I made this on a whim, for a fresh dinner last week. I fell in love and ate the same thing the next day for lunch. Give it a try and add things that you love, there is a ton of room to play with this recipe.
- 1 onion, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can of chili beans
- 1 can of light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP liquid smoke
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, chopped
- your favorite salsa, as much as you please
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped or shredded
- 2 cups of mixed greens, chopped or shredded
- handful of chips
My Add Ins :
- 1 small can of black olives, drained
- 1 seeded, jalapeño chopped
- sprinkling of sweet corn
Ingredients for the Queso Sauce :
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- sprinkle of chili powder
- 1 cup of water
- 2 TBSP Earth Balance
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes
To Make :
First slice your vegetables, and rinse your beans. Place onion and peppers in a pan or skillet with liquid smoke (I used cast iron) on medium heat and cook for about 3 minutes. Add chili beans and kidney beans, along with 1/4 cup of water. Add in the chili powder and garlic powder. Stir well. Let cook until the water is evaporated and the mixture is thick. Turn off heat and set aside.
Get a regular sized bowl and mix together diced tomatoes, cilantro and scallions. Set aside.
Make your cheese sauce by mixing together all of the dry ingredients in a 2 qt. pan. Mix in water and stir on medium heat until it turns thick. Once thickened, add in Earth Balance and Rotel. Once thickened to your liking, remove from heat.
Now mix get a serving bowl and place your chopped/shredded lettuce and spinach in it. Add on your vegetable and bean mixture, cilantro and scallion mixture, salsa, olives, jalapeños, corn or any other add-in you are using. Top everything off with your cheese sauce and serve with chips of your choice.