It has been super cold today, so naturally I wanted something to warm us up after we went for our walk. This meal is super cheap, really easy, healthy and flavorful. I made two batches of it and switched some things around on the second go. Luckily, I have pictures of both so you can decide which one looks right for you to enjoy.
- 1 TBSP olive or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)
- 15 oz can of black beans, undrained
- 15 oz can of dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 15 oz can of stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 vegetable broth cube (optional)
- 1 cup of brown or white rice (brown takes quite a bit longer)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
*For my first batch (pictured above) I left out the kidney beans, and used brown rice. My second batch (my favorite of the two) I added kidney beans and white rice.
* If you choose to use brown rice, you will have to add more vegetable broth or water and seasonings as it boils. I used brown rice for the first batch and it took around 35 minutes to boil until it got soft, and probably around 2 1/2 or 3 cups of broth.
To Make :
Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat and cook onions ( and garlic; if using) until soft.
Mix in black beans, kidney beans and tomatoes along with all of the spices. Stir well and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes.
Mix in your rice of choice, vegetable broth cube, and vegetable broth liquid. Bring to a simmer for around 10-15 minutes or until rice is fluffy and soft. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
My second (favorite) batch :