This meal is always pretty fun. You get to see what all you have in your pantry or fridge to throw in and make a colorful splash with. Use whatever you want, the more the merrier. Also, you can pour some juice, turn on some Pearl Jam, play with your cat a little and hop on reddit while it all cooks. Now that’s a good deal all together.
As far as the vegetables go, use as many as you like, or whatever you have. I probably cook about 4 or 5 cups total vegetables at a time when I make this.
- jasmine rice, steamed
- broccoli, cut into florets
- green bell pepper, cut the top off then cut into 1/2″ rings
- red bell pepper, cut the top off then cut into 1/2″ rings
- carrot, see note for tip*
- squash, sliced into rounds
- zucchini, sliced into rounds
- cabbage, any kind, cut into strips
- any other vegetable or bean that you’d like to add to sweet and sour sauce
* About the carrot : get your potato peeler, peel the outside skin off the carrot and throw away. Now hold the carrot over a bowl and “peel” it into thin carrot shreds. Hit and drag the blade over the carrot fast and short to make short or long, thin shreds that are easier to eat than carrot rounds. If you don’t have a peeler, just cut them thinly. Or leave them whole for all I care. Carrots are carrots, and carrots are delicious.
Sweet and Sour Sauce :
This is a basic recipe, so feel free to add pineapple, red pepper, etc. if you want, I like mine plain most of the time.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 TBSP ketchup
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
Stir everything together in a sauce pan, bring to a boil. Stir often, when it is the right thickness for you, take off the heat and serve.
If you have a steamer, this will be as easy as a yawn. If you don’t .. there’s hope and it’s still not that hard.
Place 2-4 servings of rice in the steamer, put all of your vegetables in the steamer tray and let it all go until the rice is done.
Non– Steamer : Boil 2-4 servings of rice, toss your veggies in oil and bake in the oven on 350 for around 20 minutes, tossing occasionally. If you have some thin items, make sure they don’t burn or toss them in half way through.
Last Step :
Get your rice, pour on some soy sauce, and some Sriracha, toss your veggies on, and pour some sauce over all of it. Eat immediately and enjoy.
I will also try and post the recipe for the pot stickers I made along side this when I can find it, it’s here somewhere.